I would like to welcome you to Our Lady of Sorrows Parish! Our parish is not only focused on the Eucharist and the Liturgy but also on stewardship of time, talent and treasure. This allows us to carry forth the work of Christ through evangelization. You will find opportunities to join with fellow parishioners in service to our parish, our community, and to the people of Christ. If you are interested in any areas of ministry, please contact the parish office at 748-8287 or email [email protected] I will be in contact with you and will pass your information on to those responsible for that ministry. You will be contacted with more information about your ministerial selections. I am again glad to welcome you to our faith community and look forward to working with you to bring Christ to all people!
Rev. John Donovan, Pastor
OUR LADY OF SORROWS PARISH
- ADORATION OF THE BLESSED SACRAMENT: Takes place each Friday following the 9:00am Mass and continues until 10:30am.
- FIRST FRIDAY ADORATION OF THE BLESSED SACRAMENT: Takes place on first Fridays following the 9:00am Mass and continues until 1:30pm.
- NOCTURNAL ADORATION SOCIETY: An area organization that meets monthly at a local church to spend an hour in prayer before the Blessed Sacrament.
- PRAYER NETWORK: Parishioners operate a telephone and email tree to receive and pass on prayer intentions as requested.
- CENTERING PRAYER: This group meets Saturday mornings and focuses on centering prayer as a way to come closer to Christ.
- MEN OF SAINT JOSEPH: A group of men meet each Friday morning at 7:00am in the library to pray together and to support one another in prayer as they lead a life based on Saint Joseph, the head of the Holy Family.
COMMITTEES, GROUPS AND ORGANIZATIONS
- RESPECT LIFE COMMITTEE: Incorporates prayer and social action to bring parishioners to an awareness of the need to respect and defend all life, from conception to natural death.
- VOCATIONS COMMITTEE: Prays for and sponsors monthly masses for vocations to the ordained priesthood, deaconate, and religious life.
- HUMAN DEVELOPMENT COMMITTEE: Works to provide food and other support to those in need through our food pantry including special giving programs during the Thanksgiving and Christmas seasons.
- BEREAVEMENT LUNCHEON COMMITTEE: Teams of individuals plan, organize, prepare and serve meals for families who have lost loved ones and desire a meal served in the parish cafe after the funeral mass/service.
- NEW PARISHIONER WELCOME COMMITTEE: This committee calls all new parishioners and welcomes them to our parish community. This group also is present to welcome new parishioners at weekend liturgies, social functions, activities, etc.
- SOCIAL ACTION COMMITTEE: Provides programs on the parish level that inform about Catholic Social Teaching.
- PARISH PICNIC COMMITTEE: Organizes the yearly parish picnic including venues, entertainment, and food.
- SICK AND HOME BOUND MINISTRY: Provides visitation and the Eucharist to those who are home bound, in nursing facilities or in hospitals.
- PRAYER SHAWL MINISTRY: Ministry members knit, crotchet, weave or quilt prayer shawls that are delivered to the ill. These prayer shawls are blessed on a regular basis at our weekend liturgies and are distributed by those who visit the ill or home bound.
- MARY'S MEAL MINISTRY: Our Lady of Sorrows sponsors and hosts a free community meal certain Tuesdays each month from 5:30-6:30 in our Cafe. There is a need for cooks, servers, and clean up. Please contact the parish office for a list of Tuesdays that the meal will be offered.
- OFFICE VOLUNTEER: Helps office staff with weekly and special projects including filing, emailing, snail mailing, copying and preparation of parish wide mailings.
- WEDDING DAY ASSISTANTS: Helps bridal party and families/guests as needed the day of weddings.
- ALTAR CARE AND CLEANING: Helps to clean and decorate the altar and church area as needed.
- PRE-CANA TEAM: Plans and administers the pre-marriage program here at Our Lady of Sorrows. The program takes place one day a year but there is planning that needs to be done prior to the day of presentation.
- KNIGHT'S OF COLUMBUS: A fraternal group of Catholic men who are organized to pray and to carry out good works to benefit all people. The Knights of Columbus also sponsor social gatherings for the benefit and enjoyment of the Knight's as well as the entire parish.
- KNIGHTS OF COLUMBUS LADIES AUXILIARY: A counterpart to the Knights of Columbus that are in support of the Knights of Columbus, and also support charitable as well as social activities for the organization and the greater parish community.
FAITH FORMATION AND YOUTH MINISTRY OPPORTUNITIES
- FAITH FORMATION CLASS VOLUNTEERS: We offer classes from K-10th grade and are always in need of teachers, teachers aid's, substitute teachers and individuals to help with hospitality for our children and their families, including receptions and other social events.
- YOUTH GROUP VOLUNTEERS: There are opportunities for adults to help with leadership with middle and high-school youth groups.
- KID'S CLUB VOLUNTEERS: Provides faith based activities and mentoring of elementary-age children. This is often in conjunction with or in preparation for youth masses.
- YOUTH NURSING HOME VISITORS: Our young parishioners visit local nursing homes and occasionally participate in outings with residents.
- PEACE CAMP VOLUNTEERS: A four day long program offered during the summer with our teens teaching younger children about peace, caring, and how they can make a difference in our world. There is need for adult and especially older teen involvement as councilors and leaders in crafts, music, etc.
- YOUTH FUNDRAISING: Youth Group of OLS takes part in a number of fund raising activities to benefit charitable as well as their own causes. This fundraising benefits the many faith based activities and social activities the youth participate in each year.
- YOUTH ATHLETIC PROGRAM VOLUNTEERS: Volunteers are always needed to help with CYO basketball programs. Teams form in the fall.
- HOSPITALITY SUNDAY: Each month the parish hosts a Hospitality Sunday. The Youth of the parish assist Deacon Dale in setting up, serving, and clean-up.
EVANGELIZATION AND ADULT FAITH FORMATION OPPORTUNITIES
- RCIA Team Members- RITE OF CHRISTIAN INITIATION OF ADULTS: The process by which those who are seeking to learn about the Catholic Faith come to a fuller understanding of the richness of the Catholic Faith as taught by Christ and by which they receive the Sacraments of Initiation. We are always looking for those who are interested in leaning more about their faith and also those who would be interested in helping to teach the RCIA classes.
SCRIPTURAL STUDY OPPORTUNITIES
- SCRIPTURE STUDY: There are sessions to prepare for the upcoming Sunday Scripture offered on Tuesday mornings as well as Tuesday evenings from September through June.
- FOCUSED SCRIPTURE STUDY: This group chooses a particular book of the Bible to focus on and meets once a week on Tuesday evenings.
- SPIRITUAL REFLECTION GROUP: This group reads and discusses books on current spiritual subjects. This group meets Wednesday mornings from September through June.
- IMMACULATE HEART OF MARY (IHM) Associates meets monthly to support the IHM mission and to instill the IHM spirituality in the members of the group.
LITURGICAL & HOSPITALITY MINISTRIES
- EUCHARISTIC MINISTERS: Assist in the distribution of Eucharist at daily and weekend Masses as well as to our homebound parishioners.
- ALTAR SERVERS: Youth (grade 3 and up) and adults needed to serve at weekday, weekend, and funeral liturgies.
- LECTORS: Proclaim readings at weekend and weekday masses; read introduction and intercessions.
- GREETERS: Ministry of Hospitality; we need four greeters at each weekend Mass
- USHERS: Ministry of Hospitality; assist parishioners with seating and with special needs; take up the collection.
PARISH MANAGEMENT ASSISTANCE OPPORTUNITIES
- PARISH PASTORAL COUNCIL MEMBER: Active members within the parish community may serve, once elected or appointed, to the Pastoral Council. This council is a advisement committee which works collaboratively with the pastor and the entire parish to help plan the parishes future, advise the pastor in areas of concern for parishioners.
- BUILDINGS AND GROUNDS COMMITTEE: This committee is formed of people with either an interest or an area of expertise in the buildings and grounds operation, repair and development of the parish.